First UP lasted 4 years

Talk about anything.
Robin

First UP lasted 4 years

Post by Robin » Wed May 11, 2016 9:40 am

My first UP! has finally demised. It cost me £1260 + tax back in December 2012 and has easily paid for itself.

I have ordered a new UP! Plus 2 from Maplins who have it on offer for £650 + tax, hope I get a good one.

The last gasp happened on Monday, the software suddenly stopped working. The computer no longer recognises it as a USB device when I plug it in so I presume that is the end :(

Tiertime-Jason

Re: First UP lasted 4 years

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Wed May 11, 2016 9:48 am

If still in warranty, you can at maximum get a replacement machine. Dont worry!

Robin

Post by Robin » Wed May 11, 2016 10:09 am

Nice idea but I don't think there can be any warranty on it, I have cruelly abused it. It is held together with glue and nails. It has printed the same part at least 3000 times, maybe more.

I am not au fait with the Plus 2, but there was one modification I found very useful and will repeat if necessary. I put a thermal switch on the nozzle heat sink and used it to turn on the fan. This means that when the print finishes and everything cools down, the fan switches off and my wife thinks the printer has switched off to. It stops her moaning about me leaving things on when I go to bed so I get one extra print per day.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu May 12, 2016 1:19 am

Nice trick for the thermal switch, could use on other mods as well.
My wife dont really mind I leave the printer on as long as I dont move it out of toliet. :lol:

Robin

Post by Robin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:25 pm

I do not believe it...

I bought a look a like processor board to turn my dead UP! in to a RepRap for £40. Went to plug it in, just thought I would try it first and the danged thing burst in to life with the original processor :shock:

So it would seem that 3 weeks away from it's PSU has fixed the dead USB fault the same way it fixes every other UP processor fault.

My UP! is up and printing which is excellent because I just got a big order through :mrgreen:

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Robin wrote:I do not believe it...

I bought a look a like processor board to turn my dead UP! in to a RepRap for £40. Went to plug it in, just thought I would try it first and the danged thing burst in to life with the original processor :shock:

So it would seem that 3 weeks away from it's PSU has fixed the dead USB fault the same way it fixes every other UP processor fault.

My UP! is up and printing which is excellent because I just got a big order through :mrgreen:

Well that is great to hear, but I would suspect that your CPU board was fine the whole time, if a CPU board is truly fried, it is NOT going to just
fix itself. LOL

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:41 am

Wait for the update coming up very soon. Your machine will be capable of wifi printing... So, do not give up on it.

Joseph