Up Studio

Talk about anything.
steelmans

Re: Up Studio

Post by steelmans » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:44 am

Just had a good look around the software and it is a beautiful interface, particularly the "Model adjustment wheel" controls... superb!

I have made some notes below. They are in no particular order, some are essential, some are just notes and some are features I would like as a professional user. I hope the notes help. I have not actually printed with it yet as I can't get the calibration to work as I mention below......

- Tool Tips - These should be optional but turned on by default.

- Advanced area - As mentioned in my other post with temp controls etc... viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55133#p45109.

- Left click / rotate - This works strange and tilts the model upside-down (similar to the Mac version of the old software).

- Right click / pan - Not too important but pan no longer exists.

- Print tabs - A good feature would be to add tabs so you can have multiple print layouts/models. This would be saved in the software so users can flick between models.

- Adverts on home - These are going to become very annoying. Why not just show a new advert once and then revert to opening on the main layout "Up" page?

- Text is unreadable on some pages such as the "My" page.

- Show model volume when it is selected (as in previous Up software).

- "Popup" and confirmation text could be much bigger.

- Add a single layer wall thickness that actually prints a base also.

- Add 100% solid infill option. This is very important to me for my clients medical prototypes. I currently have to switch to another printer.

- No ABS+ option - Maybe this isn't needed as it is the same temp as normal ABS?

- Check the default print preferences - UP BOX ones have changed... 4 layer surface rather than 3 layer.... 50 deg angle rather than 45 deg.

- Software window sometimes opens with the top section (shows temps etc) cut off. This is intermittent but very important. I think this is due to removing the usual Windows program borders?

- Auto-calibration doesn't work on my UP BOX. I just get a "Printer error" hence I haven't actually test printed yet.

Obviously a long list but most of these items are small and easy to fix. I hope it is helpful.

Users are spending time to help you get this software perfect so it would be really appreciated if Tiertime/UP would reply to the feedback and give feedback of their own so we know what is being changed and what won't be featured.

I am looking forward to the second revision of this software!

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Will a 32 bit version be available at all?

ideas108

Post by ideas108 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:57 am

Love the way I can load a jpeg image in and print it out nice work

gordon37

Post by gordon37 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:00 am

just had a quick look at the new ui, a big improvement on the looking from the old software!

There is only one improvement I truly hope for:

100% INFILL PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Billzilla

Post by Billzilla » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:12 pm

I can't see it being better at the moment in any way than the old software.
It's more difficult to use, the various buttons are cryptic, and there's far fewer vital functions.

mrt

Post by mrt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:01 am

Thank you Tiertime for including Resellers and UP Users in the conversation about the New UP Studio Software

It is great that you are revamping the UP 3D Print Software.

As a reseller of UP Printers in Australia I encourage every user to make a case for changes that you would like to see in this new software.
Your input is essential.

Please don’t just write I want XYZ feature. Advise why you want this feature and how not having it affects you. This way Tiertime will understand the importance of what you are asking for.

Here is our list of features and functionality in priority order as discussed with some of our key UP Customers

1) Nozzle Temperature
The ability to control nozzle print temperature in the UP Software. I have heard the argument about locking into set temperature options eg ABS ABS+ PLA, but looking forward this cannot be ignored. There are too many unique filaments coming out that users want to use and cannot without temperature controllers. This goes way beyond users wanting to print with generic ABS. Unless Tiertime are going to come out with full colour ranges of flexible and other unique materials they need to look at resolving this limitation as users clearly want and need it. This is a perfect time to add some more temperature control options. Tiertime I am sure you would prefer your software to control the Nozzle temperature instead of Temp Controller add-on’s or software hacks. I can confirm that we currently lose many sales due to this inflexibility.

2) Print 100% Solid Parts
I understand the reason you do not provide the option to print a totally solid part is to minimise warping. There are times users need to print solid parts. I am assuming that small solid parts would not be greatly affected by warping. I can confirm that we have existing users that need this function and have had a number of sales fail because we cannot print smaller parts strong enough.

3) Platform Temperature Control
There are some new filaments that print best with a cold platform. We would like the ability to control the platform Temperature with the option of turning the platform temp to zero (Room Temperature).

4) New software interface
The new UP Studio software looks nice but is very hard to use compared to the old existing software. The lack of menus and labels make the whole process a pain for existing users not to mention new users. Most of our UP 3D Printer customers are middle aged and find the existing software very easy to use. Please don’t make changes just for the sake of change. Look at Microsoft as a perfect example of what not to do.

I encourage all UP Users to Rate to following Items out of 10

10 Being the most important and 1 being least

Please Rate These

Nozzle Temperature Control from UP Studio Software
Print 100% Solid Parts
Platform Temperate Control from UP Studio Software
Clearly intuitive UP Studio Software Interface
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au

pilo

Post by pilo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Hello,
Totally agree with Mrt.

I would like a few new feature to be added - Wall Thickness Controll - for controll not only bottom solid layers number but side and upper parts of the model as well. Some of the models need thicker walls for screw nests, others should be as light as it is possible (drones f.i.) and one layer with appropriate infill should be anough.

Another thing (I am not 100% sure if this could be technically done but I feel that this is doable) would be to add connectivity via USB-->WiFi router to existing printers without Wireless built-in. It would be VERY usefull to operate printer without computer attached but via LAN. I know the hacks that utilise some TP-Link or RPI routers, but since the software needs access to parameters on USB hosts HDD - user made workarounds are not easy or not reliable.

Nozzle Temperature Control from UP Studio Software --------------> 10
Print 100% Solid Parts ---------------------------------------------------> 9
Platform Temperate Control from UP Studio Software --------------> 6
Clearly intuitive UP Studio Software Interface -----------------------> 2
Wall Thickness Controll -------------------------------------------------> 8
Connectivity Via USB-->WiFi Router -----------------------------------> 10

Best regards
Michal

mrgibbon

Post by mrgibbon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:51 am

I second Drew's comments:

1. Loss of ability to "pan" using the right mouse button along with rotate and zoom.
2. If using an "Icon" interface have a text explanation "pop up" when hovering the cursor over icon buttons.
3. Loss of ability to "pre-heat" platform before printing.
4. unable to reduce overall window size like most every other windows programs.

Why change it? The old software is far better, and is just missing some functions:
Temp changes:
Heat Bed to x degrees before printing.
Turning off the damn beeps.
Print 100% Solid Parts

Oh and an Add-on WiFi module would be great!
Cheers

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:57 pm

I have an up mini at home for personal use. I recently purchased a up box for my company because of the enclosure, HEPA filter, and easy to use software for people not familiar with 3d printers.
However, after using the Up Box, and the lack of features listed below, I have decided to go a different direction and head away from UP printers as there are key features missing.
As I think mrt called out the exact things that are important.
-I think temperature control being the most important as with all the new materials coming out, it is critical to be able to adjust to this. I dont know how many people use UP's filament but I bet more use off brand filament over the UP brand. So if tiertime is worried about losing money over people using off brand filament, you can make it up in sales of machines if the features were comparable to other 3d printers out there. For me this is the main thing keeping me away from buying future UP printers at this point.

mrt wrote:Thank you Tiertime for including Resellers and UP Users in the conversation about the New UP Studio Software

It is great that you are revamping the UP 3D Print Software.

As a reseller of UP Printers in Australia I encourage every user to make a case for changes that you would like to see in this new software.
Your input is essential.

Please don’t just write I want XYZ feature. Advise why you want this feature and how not having it affects you. This way Tiertime will understand the importance of what you are asking for.

Here is our list of features and functionality in priority order as discussed with some of our key UP Customers

1) Nozzle Temperature
The ability to control nozzle print temperature in the UP Software. I have heard the argument about locking into set temperature options eg ABS ABS+ PLA, but looking forward this cannot be ignored. There are too many unique filaments coming out that users want to use and cannot without temperature controllers. This goes way beyond users wanting to print with generic ABS. Unless Tiertime are going to come out with full colour ranges of flexible and other unique materials they need to look at resolving this limitation as users clearly want and need it. This is a perfect time to add some more temperature control options. Tiertime I am sure you would prefer your software to control the Nozzle temperature instead of Temp Controller add-on’s or software hacks. I can confirm that we currently lose many sales due to this inflexibility.

2) Print 100% Solid Parts
I understand the reason you do not provide the option to print a totally solid part is to minimise warping. There are times users need to print solid parts. I am assuming that small solid parts would not be greatly affected by warping. I can confirm that we have existing users that need this function and have had a number of sales fail because we cannot print smaller parts strong enough.

3) Platform Temperature Control
There are some new filaments that print best with a cold platform. We would like the ability to control the platform Temperature with the option of turning the platform temp to zero (Room Temperature).

4) New software interface
The new UP Studio software looks nice but is very hard to use compared to the old existing software. The lack of menus and labels make the whole process a pain for existing users not to mention new users. Most of our UP 3D Printer customers are middle aged and find the existing software very easy to use. Please don’t make changes just for the sake of change. Look at Microsoft as a perfect example of what not to do.

Please Rate These

Print 100% Solid Parts

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:39 am

Thank you guys for all the feedbacks.
A better version is on the way.

Darkiwins

Post by Darkiwins » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 pm

I have tested the new software and this is My opinion about it:

I like to print with colorfabb PLA on the Up Mini -

-1. with the new software the Raft sticks extremely strong to the modells (didn´t was so with the old software)

-2. I am missing the option to pause the printer at a specific height.

+3. Finally! Printing without Support - thats nice

-4 No Window Mode ..... Why has it be always on Fullscreen?

-5. The Feature to add Pictures is nice funny but didnt work that well - if I add an bigger Picture the hole Programm is lagging way to much.
I dont really like this feature to be next to "add modells".

-6. the Symbols are cool but I do not understand which symbol does what - its really confusing

The old software is a lot better...( one of the easiest I've ever seen )
just add some new options and its perfect! :)

Nozzle Temperature
Platform Temperature Control
Printing without Support
Print 100% Solid Parts

aesdaileblp

Post by aesdaileblp » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:34 am

mrt wrote:As a reseller of UP Printers in Australia I encourage every user to make a case for changes that you would like to see in this new software.
Your input is essential.

..... snip

Please Rate These

Print 100% Solid Parts
Hi, we're a firm or architects who have just bought an Up Box as our first 3D printer. I'll do the rating of these items first, then add some of my own and why they are important. Be prepared for the Wall Of Text!

Nozzle Temp Control from UP Studio - 10
This is CRITICALLY important as it allows use of other filaments such as wood & PLA.

Print 100% Solid Parts - 3. Not terribly important for us, architectural models are usually hollow, and for us it would be a waste of filament.

Platform Temp Control from UP Studio - 8 nearly important as print temp, what IS important is a "don't start print until X temp reached" function

Clearly intuitive UP Studio Interface - 1
I don't find the Studio interface very logical or easy to use, but I don't think any time should be spent making it 'better'. See below for my radical solution....

---

OK, now it's time for my critique of the Up Box.

TLDR version - it's a great printer, but is let down by very poor software.

Disclosure: I've been using 3D printers since 2008 professionally, mostly Z-Systems / 3DS Projet 9000-series multicolour inkjets with plaster & acrylic feedstock. I have a year's experience with an FDM machine at home - a FlashForge Creator Pro dual-head MakerBot-style extruder, with quite a few home-made mods. I design objects mostly in Autodesk Inventor or Revit, with some 3DS Max and Sketchup as well. My print Slicer of choice is the superb Simplify3D.

I might leave a review of the Up Box and my experience for Box forum, and just focus on the software here....

I can review the UP software in a word - BAD.

It isn't easy to use compared even to ReplicatorG (freeware) or Makerbot (freeware) let alone Simplify3D AUS $150), there is almost no control over how the print will be made, no temp control, no preview of what will actually be sent to the printer. The move/rotate/scale controls are unintuitive, there is no 'auto-place' or 'auto-arrange', there is no control over raft structure other than 'off', the 'fix' or 'clean' functions don't even appear to do anything, and don't give a clear indication of what the errors might be. Even prints that 'pass' the check can be printed with entire sections missing, which wastes time & filament as there is no visual preview of what will be sent to the printer.

Worst of all - this software is the ONLY way to print to the Up Box, which locks you in to using this very poor software.

Which is an enormous shame, as the UP BOX is an EXCELLENT PRINTER!

If I could use any of those other software slicers with the UP Box I would, and I would strongly suggest that rather than investing in rewriting your own software, just make whatever drivers are needed to let us users work with whatever slicer we want.

It's perfectly OK to supply a 'basic' driver solution that will get the average user up and running quickly - the current software is capable of that - but for more experienced and technically minded users either a vastly superior interface is required OR the ability to use commonly available Slicers such as Autodesk Meshmixer, ReplicatorG, Repetier-Host or Simplify3D. Simplify3D (https://www.simplify3d.com/) is the most powerful of the three, and already supports a vast range of printers, both cartesian (like the Up Box) and delta-drives.

That said, if improvements must be made then this is the most important:

VISUAL PREVIEW OF PRINTHEAD PATH AND EXTRUSION

This will save MUCH frustration with failed prints and wasted filament. The print failures we have had so far have all been due to poor slicing caused by errors in the STLs - usually such errors are inevitable in the complex models used in architectural design, and a very difficult to spot UNLESS a preview of the print head path is shown. All three of the packages mentioned above use path preview, including a layer-by-layer view to spot any anomalies occurring inside the print. Of the three, Simplify3D is the most sophisticated with visual (colour shaded) analysis of head temp, head speed, print component (outer shell, infill, bridging, support, etc.)

Adding this Print Preview mode would move the current Up software v2.18 from BAD to GOOD in my opinion. Not great - that's Simplify 3D (no, I don't work for them! It's just great software)

On the scale of one to ten above, I rate this ELEVEN.

Next - Better Support Control.

The support control provided in the current Up software is vague at best, downright annoying at worst. We haven't found a reliable way of turning it OFF. The support created is also far too dense, even at the most minimal settings (I presume they are minimal, it isn't easy to tell what the controls do). Coupled with a lack of visual preview it's a lottery as to where the support seems to end up, with often completely perfect prints ruined by support in illogical locations (even when support was set to BASE ONLY) at dense settings that make removal very difficult.

Better control of support - or manual support placement (like Simplify3D - are you noticing a pattern here?) coupled with visual path preview would be better improvements than all of the other options listed in this thread.

---

I'm actually rather thrilled with the Up Box - its the easiest to set up 3D printer i've ever used, and is a consistently excellent printer. It is the first 3D printer I've ever used that is truly office-friendly due to how quiet it is. It also looks good - something that cannot be said for most 3D printers, and in a design office thats actually a selling point! We're happy to say that our Up Box is located near the entrance to our client meeting room, in full view of clients as they come in to the office - it's interesting to look at with the coloured display and is a major talking point.

We are really thrilled with the Up Box - and we're happy to be quoted saying that - once the software is fixed, or we can use Simplify3D!
Adrian Esdaile
Senior Project Architect
Billard Leece Partnership Pty Ltd
Architects & Urban Planners
http://www.blp.com.au

Liova

Post by Liova » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:19 am

This is unusable due to lack of labels on buttons. It`s not like all those icons are standard and can be understood by a glance.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Support for 3d-mouse would be nice.

Thanks,
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

Diego.Giovany

Post by Diego.Giovany » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:16 am

none of up software run after last windows 10 update... can anyone confirm?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:28 am

Diego wrote:none of up software run after last windows 10 update... can anyone confirm?
The Beta version will run on Windows 10 - but 64bit only
The old UP software works on Windows 10 32 and 64bit with the latest updates.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Diego.Giovany

Post by Diego.Giovany » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:58 am

Hi,
I've installed a new virtual machine windows 10, and everything was working, until I updated again.... an now, software crashes on start...

Windows 10, 64 bits on mac parallels 11... also tryed vmware with same results...

EDIT: After removing updates, everything is working again... Installed a new virtual machine to do some tests

wackojacko wrote:
Diego wrote:none of up software run after last windows 10 update... can anyone confirm?
The Beta version will run on Windows 10 - but 64bit only
The old UP software works on Windows 10 32 and 64bit with the latest updates.

tel

Post by tel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:38 am

Nozzle Temperature Control from UP Studio Software. 10
Print 100% Solid Parts. 5
Platform Temperate Control from UP Studio Software. 7
Clearly intuitive UP Studio Software Interface. 8

Would also liketo add another couple
Visability of support structures to be printed. 8
Ability to add Brim from within software. 9

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Hello all,

we are carrying out a survey on the UP Studio.
Participant could win up3d.com coupons!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55218

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Nice, I took the survey.

Still, some things I would like to see added:

Adanced settings, for instance single wall printing or wall thickness adjustment
Support preview and maybe manual support adding/removing. Seeing what will be printed before sending it to the printer is really a must..

Thanks TierTime!