Base plate heating is low in the end.

Talk about anything.
moreupper

Base plate heating is low in the end.

Post by moreupper » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:38 am

1) Base plate heating element is 80w 24v on my up+ the problem is wrapping print when it is big. I have read a lot here and made some test too. What I found is. Placing the heat element in the middle and 80w on such small block is not good for heat transfer to the top "thin alu plate". The temp. will always be lower in both end. That's why the problem is on big element i think. My idea is to mount two 20w in both end of the base plate and change the 80w to 40w. Then the heat will be more stable. Another thing is 3,4amp is too much for that heating element, i cant understand why they not use 2 pcs. of 40w with a distance...

2) How to get a higher temp on the base plate, is there some param there can be changed maybe to get 10% higher temp? I can see a lot of hw modification but it may be possible to do it in sw.

Any hints.

ricks01

Re: Base plate heating is low in the end.

Post by ricks01 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Placing the printer in an enclosure can help with warping.

moreupper

Post by moreupper » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 am

Yes I have seen that several write that. It seems foolish when the entire problem is in the platform. Had it been isolated at the bottom and otherwise been performed thermal correctly, there was no problem.

mrgibbon

Post by mrgibbon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:50 am

I sometimes use a very weak solution of ABS and Acetone to rub onto the heat bed using my finger. It makes prints stick like glue.
A very runny solution, like water, not like a paste.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:00 am

Rather than keeping a very weak solution of ABS/Acetone, I have a sheet of old ABS, made up by dissolving waste ABS parts/support in some MEK then leaving it to harden in an old ice cream tub. Then just before printing, when the platform is warm I pour a little MEK (or Acetone) onto a paper towel and wipe that towel across the ABS sheet, then wipe the towel across the platform. This leaves a thin sheen of ABS on the platform to which the print will adhere.

cheers

Peter

mrgibbon

Post by mrgibbon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Thats a great idea Peter, I'll give that a go!

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:01 am

mr6k wrote:Rather than keeping a very weak solution of ABS/Acetone, I have a sheet of old ABS, made up by dissolving waste ABS parts/support in some MEK then leaving it to harden in an old ice cream tub. Then just before printing, when the platform is warm I pour a little MEK (or Acetone) onto a paper towel and wipe that towel across the ABS sheet, then wipe the towel across the platform. This leaves a thin sheen of ABS on the platform to which the print will adhere.

cheers

Peter
Peter!
I do hope you are wearing good gloves and keeping things well ventilated as MEK is very toxic and Cancer causing.
I recommend switching to "Elmer's water soluble glue stick instead, I use it on my glass plate(UP Plus Pro) and perforated board(Zortrax M200 Pro) and everything sticks to it even Nylon.
Be safe.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Robin

Post by Robin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:55 am

If, like me, you are in the UK and thinking, wtf is this Elmer's stuff? I bought some and it is nothing like Pritt. You smear it on to cold Pyrex and when it gets hot it dries to a thin, white, crusty smear that sticks to both the Pyrex and ABS then washes off when you no longer require it.

You will love it.

If you smear it on to hot Pyrex it still works but it melts and you will probably put more on that you intended to. You can get it on ebay from America in tiny little 0.21oz pots. Elmer's do a range of glues so make sure you get the "purple".

My table is covered in cork on the underside and Borosilicate on top. It is held together with Allen bolts and thermal transfer compound. I throw a yellow duster over the top while warming up for a fast even heat.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:14 pm

Drew,
have to say I never wear gloves with MEK, I understood it was not toxic, nor carcinogenic. I have been using it for a good 20 years, it's great at removing paint etc from hands !!!! Agreed it will degrease skin but don't think it is as dangerous as you think. Now I did once totally clean a boat hull of calcium deposits with fairly Formic acid, without wearing gloves and that did remove about 5 layers of skin from my fingers, without hurting or me noticing until I got home. It proved one myth; acid will not remove your finger prints. I was surprised to see a full set of fingerprints on the raw new layers below the original skin !

cheers

Peter

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 am

mr6k wrote:Drew,
have to say I never wear gloves with MEK, I understood it was not toxic, nor carcinogenic. I have been using it for a good 20 years, it's great at removing paint etc from hands !!!! Agreed it will degrease skin but don't think it is as dangerous as you think. Now I did once totally clean a boat hull of calcium deposits with fairly Formic acid, without wearing gloves and that did remove about 5 layers of skin from my fingers, without hurting or me noticing until I got home. It proved one myth; acid will not remove your finger prints. I was surprised to see a full set of fingerprints on the raw new layers below the original skin !

cheers

Peter
Material Safety Data Sheet
Methyl ethyl ketone
ACC# 14460
Inhalation:
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects
characterized by nausea, headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract
irritation. Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause numbness in
the extremities.
Chronic:
Chronic inhalation may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation. Prolonged or
repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis. Animal studies have reported that fetal
effects/abnormalities may occur when maternal toxicity is seen.

MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast. TERATOGENIC
EFFECTS: Classified POSSIBLE for human.

Here in the US this material has been banned for general sale as a cleaner uses in general so it is tougher to get but worth it when used right.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:26 pm

Drew,
Thanks for the info.
I do understand it is unwise to "inhale etc in high concentrations and I don't tend to wash with it !!!

Here in the UK I can still get it in 5 litre containers via ebay, sent through the post !
Being retired and approaching my 70's, I guess neither MEK, nor many other chemicals nor for example being on the 14th floor of the Sheraton in Mexico City September 1985 when their big earthquake hit nor beimg shot at in Kuwait have managed to delete me so far, I will take my chances. I doubt MEK is as toxic as some of the "chemicals" we inhaled/swallowed as teenagers in the 1960's.

cheers

Peter

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:52 pm

mr6k wrote:Drew,
Thanks for the info.
I do understand it is unwise to "inhale etc in high concentrations and I don't tend to wash with it !!!

Here in the UK I can still get it in 5 litre containers via ebay, sent through the post !
Being retired and approaching my 70's, I guess neither MEK, nor many other chemicals nor for example being on the 14th floor of the Sheraton in Mexico City September 1985 when their big earthquake hit nor beimg shot at in Kuwait have managed to delete me so far, I will take my chances. I doubt MEK is as toxic as some of the "chemicals" we inhaled/swallowed as teenagers in the 1960's.

cheers

Peter
True, I too am in my 50s and take informed risks, BUT I will always caution users regardless hoping they read and do not ruin their lives, so while it might not apply to you it MOST certainly applies to the young person in their home with children and partners.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs

Robin

Post by Robin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:38 am

Is MEK a better solvent for ABS than acetone? Acetone is a natural by product of being human so presumably safe?

Acetone also reacts with hypochlorite to make hard to get chloroform if you wanted to weld Perspex, (I haven't actually tried that one yet) :mrgreen:

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:47 pm

MEK evaporates somewhat more slowly than Acteone. Their relative toxicity is a matter of debate if one trawls the web, however many web discussion examples do point out that Ethanol Alcohol is much more toxic than either, and that is what we drink in beer wine etc !!
cheers

Peter