Support ticket replies

Talk about anything.
steelmans

Support ticket replies

Post by steelmans » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get a reply to support tickets? Are they on holiday or something?

I have an Up Box and having a few issues trying to print without a raft and also getting the raft/support to separate from the model on any layer heights other than 0.15 or 0.2mm.

Also I was hoping that Up would listen to the community to develop the products but they don't seem to want any help. Let me know if I am wrong but the software is archaic.

pp3dp.nl

Re: Support ticket replies

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:45 pm

You have answered your own question, in China they now have a holiday..

I have read some info about raftless printing on this forum, I never do but I know it is possible. You might have to test some with the table/nozzle height.

I have noticed calibrating is important with the Up Box. I have had some models with support stuck in some places and after calibration it was better. Make sure to manually check the table height and make it as level as possible with the 3 screws under it. Check all the screws on the table and tighten them slightly - not too tight. Then I always (just to be sure) reset the calibration values under Platform Calibrate before I click Auto Level.

The Up software in my opinion is pretty good, there have been some requests unanswered that would really be great but overall I'm happy with it.

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do forget that China still have the luxury of total shutdown for their holidays. I still find it shocking that someone isn't answering phones/emails.

My raftless problem isn't with nozzle heights or table calibration. I have followed every piece of forum advice on the subject including moving the model down -2 in the slicer (why can't it just do that automatically if "No Raft" is selected). However it still prints a mini single layer raft under the model!?!?

As for separating the raft/support from the model, the table is flat, very flat even without the auto level. These are my results of how easy the raft is to remove from the model.

0.1mm - - OK but is still hard to remove
0.15mm - OK
0.2mm - GOOD but not great with the new material
0.25mm - BAD cannot be removed without damaging the model
0.3mm - BAD cannot be removed without damaging the model
0.35mm - BAD cannot be removed without damaging the model
0.4mm - BAD cannot be removed without damaging the model

Must be a solution for this, if I wanted to just print in 0.2 layer height I would have bought a much cheaper printer.

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Which version of the software are you using? I am using 2.17 at the moment with this: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54781 When printing with raft after using 2.17 it seems that the removal has improved a lot.

I also started only recently started printing on glass. It seems to print raft less. My first layer does leave a bit of a ridge because it gets squashed down properly but no raft. I wonder if your bed is truly level? How did you check it? The print in the pic was done at 0.15mm and it seems to be truly raft less.
Attachments
DSC_0371.JPG
DSC_0371.JPG (187.2 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm using 2.15 on the Mac. It seems it is the neglected version and I'm starting to think that might be the source of it not printing without a raft.

I'm not new to 3D printing and I know the bed is flat within less than 0.1mm. It has been checked with gauges and rather unnecessarily a DTI.

I wonder if anyone else is printing raftless on Mac?

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:04 am

Solved the raftless problem. It is the Mac version. Now running windows and all is ok.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:25 am

steelmans wrote:Solved the raftless problem. It is the Mac version. Now running windows and all is ok.
Always works with windows, that is what I always like to hear.
Sorry just could not help being Snarky, glad to hear you solved it now get back to printing!
:D
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:58 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote: Always works with windows, that is what I always like to hear.
Sorry just could not help being Snarky, glad to hear you solved it now get back to printing!
:D
I was a bit gutted I had to use a Windows version but I managed to run it on my Mac using Parallels. Actually it loads Windows in a few seconds which makes me wonder why PC's can't? Anyway thats for another forum!

I'm now printing good again. Bigger stuff I still want to use the raft and perfboard so I hope the separation issue can be resolved when support get back off their holiday.