Heating Issues with Printing PLA on Mini without ColorFabb

Talk about anything.
Carnivore

Heating Issues with Printing PLA on Mini without ColorFabb

Post by Carnivore » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm trying to use a third party PLA with lower heating temp on my mini and it keeps jamming. I don't want to switch to Colorfabb. Are there any methods to cool the stepper/stepper gear?

I've seen a couple STLs of builds for the UP/Afinia but none for the mini. I would prefer not to run a compressor hose if at all possible. Has anyone had success?

D3rax

Re: Heating Issues with Printing PLA on Mini without ColorFa

Post by D3rax » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:40 am

I'm having the same issue on my plus. Don't want to use a compressor and the motor cooling mods for the plus don't seem to work good enough. I have one thing in mind to try, but i'm a bit held back to give it a go before getting some input: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=54310. If it works this could also be implemented on the mini.

For the meanwhile I think I'm going to use OEM pla and colorfabb pla, its more expenisve but it saves time and effort.

For the mini you could try this:

http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 263#p40263

or the other mods form jeeplvr:

http://www.thingiverse.com/jeeplvr/designs
Up! Plus

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:48 am

I've tried attaching multiple heatsinks to the stepper motor but it still overheats. Maybe if I place a fan on top of the heatsinks, it would resolve the problem?

oklok

Post by oklok » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Check if there is dirty thing around the stepper, it can be some "shit" around that cloging the stepper making it getting heated up. Another bypass is using as somebody mentioned a fan.
http://www.3dfilamenta.com - Market space for 3D Printing; Sell and Buy!

roller

Post by roller » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:45 am

Carnivore wrote:I've tried attaching multiple heatsinks to the stepper motor but it still overheats. Maybe if I place a fan on top of the heatsinks, it would resolve the problem?
I experimented with a number of solutions and having had many years of 3D printer design experience I think I made a fair fist of it. The air pump cooling mod was the most reliable and simplest... but ... anything that keeps the extruder stepper motor cool will resolve the issue. You could redesign the extruder housing to let more air through and add a small CPU fan. I used Peltiers for a while but ended up with other issues (condensation on the peltier and cooling the hot side effectively).

With the Mini you have the added issue that heat gets trapped around the stepper - adding a fan inside the case to get more airflow for PLA will help (blowing cool air on a PLA print actually improves print definition so you dont have to worry about cooling your print too much though you don't want to chil the Mini bed too much as it is a little underheated in the stock design.

benny

Re: Heating Issues with Printing PLA on Mini without ColorFabb

Post by benny » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:11 am

Carnivore wrote:I'm trying to use a third party PLA with lower heating repair Portland temp on my mini and it keeps jamming. I don't want to switch to Colorfabb. Are there any methods to cool the stepper/stepper gear?

I've seen a couple STLs of builds for the UP/Afinia but none for the mini. I would prefer not to run a compressor hose if at all possible. Has anyone had success?
i think you can check the wiring and the coil. These two thing can effect the heating property of any printer.