Just bought a 'for parts' UP mini printer -need advice

Talk about anything.
Carnivore

Re: Just bought a 'for parts' UP mini printer -need advice

Post by Carnivore » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:01 pm

What has everyone done to solve this issue? I saw some aftermarket heating modules that people would sandwich between the perboard and plate. Or do people just transform the printer into a pla only printer?

roller

Post by roller » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:52 am

The aftermarket heater module for the bed is a good solution and gives you everything you want. You can fudge you way around the issue by sealing the top vent/opening and preheating the chamber with an air heat/hair dryer. This will give you the "heated chamber" the Mini design promised but failed to deliver. This sealing and heating will help the cooler parts of the platform keep warmer and they will reduce the shrinking that is warping and pulling the print off the perfboard.

Going PLA is the other alternative but since the Up printers use a direct drive with a stepper that gets quite warm, printing PLA tends to be problematic. The simple way to get it working - use a high softening point PLA (like Colorfab PLA which has some PHA to help the melt point) or you need a cooling mod like the one proposed by Drew. Though applying this to Mini mine be a little more complex.

With all of these options you will still most likely want an extruder temp mod.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:08 am

I thought I saw the top vent sealing piece in thingiverse, but I can't find it anymore. Do you have a link Roller?

Interestingly enough... the words on my temperature controller chip has been filed away. Using a thermometer I did measure that the bed is hovering around 60 degrees though.

I'm still sourcing for the 100 degree chip, I guess I should try the vent sealing if I can find the part.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Most have been using an 80C module I think and reported a great deal of success.

I just filled the gap with foam - no fancy printed parts.

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:33 pm

I have a Plus as well as a mini. I use an 80C thermostat chip on the mini and only use Up filament. As long as my mini prints are under 100MM, I never have any problems with the thing. I think I have gotten a total of two jams in the mini and that's it. I don't understand all the negativity about the printer as it has been great for me.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:47 am

Not hating the Mini, but just wondering why if going slightly above 60C means it would have worked better you kinda have to wonder why they didn't put a higher one in the first place?

I've gotten one jam, so far, and other that the warping which is stopping me from printing stuff > 80MM wide I'm fine with it. Can't wait to mod my temperature chip and get it to work better.
roller wrote:Most have been using an 80C module I think and reported a great deal of success.

I just filled the gap with foam - no fancy printed parts.
Roller, we're talking about the gap where the filament goes in from the top right? just seal it up so it's a smaller hole to let less heat escape right?

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:22 pm

I think I'm going to convert my mini into a pla printer.

I plan on disconnecting the ribbon connector to the heat bed and attaching my octave pla module. What setting should I put it to?

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:59 am

Carnivore wrote:I think I'm going to convert my mini into a pla printer.

I plan on disconnecting the ribbon connector to the heat bed and attaching my octave pla module. What setting should I put it to?
Ok, I'm new to this, so I have to ask, why don't you just use the PLA nozzle temperature setting?

roller

Post by roller » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:42 am

Yes, by the gap I meant that great big port at the top where the filament tube gets into the case and where all the heat leaks out.

With doing PLA:
1) don't disconnect the heated bed - 50C is about perfect for good PLA like Colorfabb
2) Due to the direct drive design of the Up extruder (PLus and Mini) most PLA filaments will fail. You need one with a high softening point like Colorfabb OR you need a cooling mod (Drew has posted about his air cooling mod a couple of times - run it with a cheap fish tank air pump).
3) You often still need a temp mod as PLA is more temp sensitive than ABS and to get optimum prints and removal support you want to be able to dial it in.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:16 pm

roller wrote:Yes, by the gap I meant that great big port at the top where the filament tube gets into the case and where all the heat leaks out.

With doing PLA:
1) don't disconnect the heated bed - 50C is about perfect for good PLA like Colorfabb
2) Due to the direct drive design of the Up extruder (PLus and Mini) most PLA filaments will fail. You need one with a high softening point like Colorfabb OR you need a cooling mod (Drew has posted about his air cooling mod a couple of times - run it with a cheap fish tank air pump).
3) You often still need a temp mod as PLA is more temp sensitive than ABS and to get optimum prints and removal support you want to be able to dial it in.
Ok, I'm kinda glad that I decided to just go with ABS for my intial 'experience' then! :P

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:04 am

I just bought another mini for 300 with shipping because he thought it was broken and didn't turn on. He never thought of pressing the power button to turn it on

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:12 am

Great Deal :D
@stormychel

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:58 pm

I got even a better deal. I Paid $175 shipped for a "for parts or repair" UP! Plus 2 that the seller said didn't work properly, he said that it would randomly lose tracking on x and y.

But I have had it for about two weeks now and it is working flawlessly.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Oh nice! People who sell 'broken' UP printers usually don't know how to use them...