What CAD/3D software do people use?

Talk about anything.
roller

Re: What CAD/3D software do people use?

Post by roller » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 pm

roller wrote: Your talk of parametricism (drawing from mathematical formula) caused me to take a second look at Invent ... now I look at it, seems like it might be largely derive from the old basic Alibre CAD which was about 5 times the price from memory (and acquired by 3D Systems). It was pretty good ... ipso facto I'm thinking I might need to give Invent some more time ... if it's basically Alibre then it's a bargain.
Actually I recant that ... seems like Cubify Design matches more the old Alibre CAD feature for feature and the price is about the same.

Astro

Post by Astro » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 pm

roller wrote:
roller wrote: Your talk of parametricism (drawing from mathematical formula) caused me to take a second look at Invent ... now I look at it, seems like it might be largely derive from the old basic Alibre CAD which was about 5 times the price from memory (and acquired by 3D Systems). It was pretty good ... ipso facto I'm thinking I might need to give Invent some more time ... if it's basically Alibre then it's a bargain.
Actually I recant that ... seems like Cubify Design matches more the old Alibre CAD feature for feature and the price is about the same.
I can't speak for Alibre in any manner, but Cubify Invent cost me just under $50.
Cheers,

Trent

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 am

Yes that's why I was ranting what great value it was originally ... but Invent ($49) loses some functionality over the Design ($199) version which is more comparable to the Alibre product I was talking about. Still a cut down version more purposed to 3D printing at the price is still worth looking into.

*gillespinault*

Post by *gillespinault* » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 pm

Because this is a regular question at our MakerSpace, I made this decision chart to help people pick their 3D software: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:232578

I don't pretend it is 100% objective or exhaustive but that's what my experience and researches led me to believe so far.
I hope it helps.
Please share your (des)agreement in a constructive way ;)
Brussels's MakerSpace: www.RealizeBxl.be

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Your link to Design Spark Mechanical on the gliffy is broken.

*gillespinault*

Post by *gillespinault* » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Fred wrote:Your link to Design Spark Mechanical on the gliffy is broken.
Thank you Fred! It is fixed now.
Brussels's MakerSpace: www.RealizeBxl.be

roller

Post by roller » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:15 pm

*gillespinault* wrote:Because this is a regular question at our MakerSpace, I made this decision chart to help people pick their 3D software: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:232578

I don't pretend it is 100% objective or exhaustive but that's what my experience and researches led me to believe so far.
I hope it helps.
Please share your (des)agreement in a constructive way ;)
It's a shame your chart is so discouraging of Sketchup ... it actually works quite well if used properly (a few simple rules) and is very easy to use. I'd say I use it for about 90% of prints and have very little trouble. Of course it is useless for "organic" shapes.

I also didn't see any of the Autodesk 123D suite (specifically 123D Design) ... I don't recommend it much myself for 3D printing (mostly because I don't have the experience to guide people through it) but it is a useful free set of tools and I use 123D Make for some CNC designs which I sometimes prototype on the 3D Printer.

Robin

Post by Robin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:39 pm

roller wrote: but Invent ($49) loses some functionality over the Design ($199) version which is more comparable to the Alibre product I was talking about.
So I was skinned when I bought Alibre Design Pro ? :mrgreen:

The thing I didn't like about the cheaper packages was they didn't let me go back, change a critical dimension I had set the day before and have everything else adjust itself to compensate.

If they have caught up I might save myself a few bob when the next Alibre upgrade arrives?

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:01 am

I can't believe nobody mentioned OpenSCAD. (If they did, I missed it.) It's a totally different animal from the rest as it's scripted. Definitely one to use as a complimentary tool rather than a replacement.

If you want to programmatically create an object or have something that's easily adjustable then it's ideal. e.g. I used it for some software that lets you edit music and churn out a custom record for an old 1970's Fisher Price record player. It fitted the bill perfectly. If you're designing something visual then it's not the right tool.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:22 am

Fred wrote:I can't believe nobody mentioned OpenSCAD. (If they did, I missed it.) It's a totally different animal from the rest as it's scripted. Definitely one to use as a complimentary tool rather than a replacement.

If you want to programmatically create an object or have something that's easily adjustable then it's ideal. e.g. I used it for some software that lets you edit music and churn out a custom record for an old 1970's Fisher Price record player. It fitted the bill perfectly. If you're designing something visual then it's not the right tool.
5th post suggested openSCAD and it was the third post on the previous such discussion which was the second link post in this thread.

Is the Up! Plus big enough for Fisher Price records?

Fred

Post by Fred » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:34 am

So it did. I did check, but obviously didn't do a very good job of it. :oops: Maybe I should have searched rather than just reading!

The Up is just about big enough for Fisher Price records. The records looked OK but I didn't quite manage to make one that played well. I won the Up on Instructables by CNC milling the records, so I had to give it a go. Someone else printed one on a Object Connex for me and obviously that came out better.

clarkryan25

Post by clarkryan25 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:04 am

Computer-aided design (CAD) is the use of computer systems to aid in the creation, modification, analysis, or optimization of a design. I think many people use Meshmixer as a side-software and it’s a good experience with it.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:56 pm

I use 3ds Max + Zbrush + Mudbox, as I generally work with organic models.

cadmodeling777
Location: MONA TILES COMPOUND, NR. CHHANI CIRCLE, CHHANI ROAD, VADODARA - 390002. GUJARAT, INDIA.

Post by cadmodeling777 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:05 am

Autodesk's Digital Prototyping tools help engineers and designers experience their 3D CAD designs virtually, before they are built. By connecting every phase of your design process through a single digital model, our Digital Prototyping solutions let your teams test and optimise 3D CAD designs, helping to drive innovation, achieve higher quality and speed time to market.

Our Building Information Modelling (US site) (BIM) software gives designers and engineers an integrated way to explore a project's key physical and functional characteristics digitally. Through the use of an intelligent 3D model to inform and communicate project decisions, our BIM solutions deliver insight and business value for building design, construction, infrastructure and utilities projects.

Robin

Post by Robin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:28 am

A few years back I bought Alibre for $99 on special offer. Currently using Geomagic 2015 but soon to be Alibre again because they have bought it back.

But, I was tempted by Fusion 360 and bought their 2 years for the price of one. It looks very much like Alibre and has CAM which Alibre is still to get and you can get it for free if you are non-commercial.

Haven't done any .stl with Fusion because it is early days for me and everything in a rush so I still go for the familiar Alibre.

Simon_V

Post by Simon_V » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:07 am

SketchUp, Inventor 2018, and Fusion 360 :)

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 am

I currently use SolidWorks 2016, I'm a Mechanical Designer and need the more robust CAD for design tooling for my business and clients, in the past 40 plus years I have used all the Higher priced software's, ProE, Autodesk products, IBM Main Frame CADAM and CoCreate Onespace, and many others, plus I've dabbled with the many freewares out there.

I'm inclined to use what works best for the client and the job and that is usually the more expensive CAD.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Solid Edge, Autodesk Inventor and Fusion 360 :)