printer not extruding

Talk about anything.
nickw

printer not extruding

Post by nickw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi all,
I started a print today, but after the initial primer line it just stops extruding. The head and bed continue to move normaly, but nothing comes out. However, when i paused and chose the "extrude" function, it seemed to work perfectly. I cleaned my nozzle about a week ago, and have had successful prints since then, so i am not sure what the problem is. Any advice?
It is an afinia, printing black abs from octave with their 2 setting switch, running 1.9 software.

juancr

Re: printer not extruding

Post by juancr » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:30 pm

Regards,
JuanCR
(You should know I do my best with my written english ;-) )

Lann

Post by Lann » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Having the same weird problem today with my UP Plus. I am using only the UP filament. I have tried all tricks and tips mentioned in this forum but no luck. I am going to send it to the distributor tomorrow.

nickw

Post by nickw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Postby juancr » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 pm
is it something similar to this?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23492
Sort of. In fact the reason I cleaned the nozzle was because I was getting that clicking noise, but it was still extruding.
Now the clicking s gone, but no extrusion.

Now it's not extruding anything. So sad :cry:

Lann

Post by Lann » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:46 am

Problem solved. Apparently, I forgot to try one tip, cleaning the nozzle tip using needle. The nozzle tip was clogged by a black residue, probably because I was using gas stove to clean it before. Maybe you should try to clean the nozzle using acetone and needle too.

nickw

Post by nickw » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:28 pm

I'll give it a try, but if it were clogged, i feel like the 'extrude' option in the maintenance window wouldnt work.

nickw

Post by nickw » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:53 am

The problem seems to happen when I use the "merge" function.
Printing individual items seems to work fine.

Also, sorry about putting this thread in the wrong place. I was in a rush.

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:45 am

'Clicking' is from the drive wheel on the extruder stepper, skipping on the filament.

this is due to the bed height being too close to the tip, so the flow of plastic is stopped, this is why it also works in extrude. if it was tip was blocked it would STILL NOT work in extrude function.

however, if you get a 'clicking', you really need to remove the front plate I (where fan is mounted) to clean out the little teeth on the drive wheel. you really should do this every time you get clicking.

so you may fix the problem of bed height, but without cleaning the bits of plastic left from the 'clicking' it still may not feed.

1. clean drive wheel teeth on main extruder stepper motor.
2. extrude with the cover OFF so you can confirm the wheel is moving or look at the back of the stepper to see if its moving...
3. re-test the extrude function. if all good,
4. re-level bed height, for bigger gap
5. re-test extruding while printing...

K

roller

Post by roller » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 am

4. re-level bed height, for bigger gap
I set my gap to always have some clicking on the first layer. I like to really smoosh the first layer into the perfboard. With this technique I get no lifting, I never have to smear my perfboard with glue, acetone or whatever. The clicking is not bad - it's just the stepper missing steps (due to too much backpressure as you have said) which will not cause any harm. That said you can't get away with this with PLA as easily as it tends to tear chunks out of the side of the filament and will stop feeding.

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:36 am

I feel we needed to open up the gaps a bit to get allow the user to better get to the bottom of the issue, and get it printing first.....once we can get him printing again, we can tweek the setting, if you know what I mean...

however you are totally correct...good smoosh is were its @!

nickw

Post by nickw » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I took off the cover a couple days ago to see if that drive wheel was dirty.

Much to my embarasement, i realized the case wasn't installed correctly last time i removed it, so the filament was just slipping out :oops: :oops:
When i reatached it the first time, it just wasn't slotted in correctly, which meant the seemingly random extrusion was due to it catching sometimes, and not others.

Just another lesson on the importance of being mindful and taking time to do things the propper way.