My New UP

Talk about anything.
wilsonj

My New UP

Post by wilsonj » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:21 pm

After almost 18 months since my first UP purchase I decided it was time to update to the latest version of the UP Plus. I know there is a new version just around the corner, but for me the added cost, combined with new pricing due to falling dollar just wasn't worth it.

PP3DP have made quite a few changes over the last year or so, constantly updating little things here and there. This machine is a culmination of all of the changes, and I though I would share a few pictures and thoughts on the new machine.

Firstly, it looks pretty much identical, except for the extruder. They are now using a different stepper motor, although I am not sure if the specs are actually any different, it could just be a different manufacturer. The old one had screws holding the back plate on, where this one does not.

Secondly the heatsink and wind barrier have gone through a radical change. The heatsink is now much smaller and protrudes outwards instead of upwards. The windbarrier now pushes air out the back when turned to off, instead of just blocking off the air flow. I speculate this is to keep the air moving over the heatsink to keep the cooling more constant.

The hot end has also been updated from a large rectangular block to a smaller wedge shaped one. I was aware this change occured quite a while ago, and my old machine was recently updated with this version as well. The performance is markedly improved, with much faster heat up times, and I no longer see occasional "nozzle too cold" issues if the wind barrier is open on start up. If you are using the old version I think upgrading to the new smaller hot end is well worth it.

Still no spring loaded bearing in the extruder though, so undersized filaments will still be an issue, as well as PLA.

Up the top there is a new distribution PCB with a couple extra plugs. I assume the 3 pin one is for an extra fan, not sure what the smaller 2 pin one is for though. It might account for the new 16 wire ribbon cable... Any ideas?

The bed heater system has also seen a revision, moving away from the problematic wires that would tend to fail after time to a more flexible ribbon cable. I also note the addition of a spring tensioner on the belt. Not sure if these are also on the other belts.

All in all some great changes to an already great little machine.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Re: My New UP

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Yup. I bought a new Afinia a couple of months ago as a backup and throughput-increaser and note all the changes you've mentioned. I particularly like the faster heat-up times. Print quality is better, but maybe my 15-month-old Up is just getting tired...

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:24 pm

I noticed my X, Y linear slides were getting a little sloppy. Replaced one and have seen an improvement.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:52 am

Up the top there is a new distribution PCB with a couple extra plugs. I assume the 3 pin one is for an extra fan, not sure what the smaller 2 pin one is for though. It might account for the new 16 wire ribbon cable... Any ideas?
I believe the 2pin is the light power on the Mini.

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:51 pm

roller wrote:

I believe the 2pin is the light power on the Mini.
Nope, the two three pin connectors supply 12V. One is for the fan, the other is used for the light in the mini. Im not sure what the two pin is for either. I am also curious about the two 3 pin connectors on the system board labeled 'fan5' & 'fan6'. I wonder if these are just 12V outs as well? I want to mount a fixed superbrite led strip in the top of the cabinet and power it off one of these connectors.

Poida

Post by Poida » Sun May 21, 2017 8:12 am

I decided that the only solution was to create a Frankenstein's Monster.
I have replaced the stepper with a bigger unit, have a spring-loaded idler assembly with heat sink. I drilled through the Up heater block and tapped it to fit a normal heat break and attached a heat sink (off an old CPU) with a fan tapped into the existing fan lead. Both run when the machine is working. I modded the circuit board tray to double as the fan spacer at the back of the extruder, and raised it to clear the plug into the stepper.
Next job is either:
1. switch the back fan so that it blows away from the stepper (sucks air through the sides of the heat sink instead of blowing in) and making a duct to direct that air to cooling the print.
2. use an aquarium pump for cooling the print.
If I could figure out how to control the secondary fan connector (3 pins, opposite end of the board to the one in use) I would use that for filament cooling.... or.... just put in an inline switch and remember to turn it on when printing in PLA.
Attachments
IMAG2.jpg
IMAG2.jpg (721.33 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
IMAG1.jpg
IMAG1.jpg (736.33 KiB) Viewed 4820 times